Friday, January 16, 2009

Hole in the Wall Review: Smoque


Hmmm, Smoqued meat


This past Christmas, my wife bought me a book for one of my gifts. It was Guy Fieri’s (think Friday’s commercials and Food Network star) Diners, Drive-ins and Dives. The book covers all the places that Guy has taken you too. It includes histories of the establishments, behind the scenes of filming as well as classic recipes. In the back of the book, there is a check off list for each restaurant that you may travel to.

Did I just say TRAVEL? Well that’s a good segway for this next part. If you have been keeping up with the blog (when I actually update it), you know I love to go off the beaten path to find a new hole in the wall. In fact, I am going to start my own food review here. It will be called just that, “Hole In the Wall Review”. I am going to do my own review of Triple D’s dives, maybe add some of Alton Browns Feasting on Asphalt places and some of my own stops along the way. Of course I would love to do this all on two wheels but being from the Midwest, and currently being sub zero degree weather (-35 overnight in Chicago), being on a motorcycle is not always going to be the case.

Late last fall, after coming home from my first circuit World Series of Poker event, I stopped at a small barbecue joint called Smoque, in Chicago. I had this place in my GPS but never stopped in while out in the bike. I am so glad that I had this place marked down after seeing it on Diners, Drive-ins and Dives.

This is place is so good, I brought my brother in law, Greg, this past Wednesday, before a Blackhawks game. When you walk in, you can immediately smell the meat smoker. It is just a rare wonderful smell at this time of year. This is a walkup order place with the menu being on this giant chalkboard. The menu consists of bbq chicken, baby back ribs as well St. Louis style.

If this is your first time going, try the brisket. I have been to Texas before (thanks to my in-laws) but this is the best barbecue brisket that I have ever had. The meat has just the right amount of smoke flavor with a sweet tangy barbecue that will bring you back for more.

Each time I have been in, I have had the brisket chili as well. The chili consists of the home BBQ sauce as well. I am not a big coleslaw fan but this stuff was really good. Not your standard creamy slaw either. The corn bread is a bonus as well. I have not had the peach cobbler, yet, but that is supposed to be worth the trip. I am sure I will be back again, soon, to try it.

I may have finished in the top 25% of the poker event, but I came out a winner at Smoque. I even brought home an extra sandwich for my wife and some sauce in quart container for myself the first time around.

My wife suggested that I have the Diners, Drive-ins and Dives book signed as I went along in my travels. So to Smoque, you were my first autograph. In my book, Smoque comes out on top for the best smoked meat and sauce in Chicago, if not in the Midwest. I am excited to bring you more reviews along the way. I just hope it gets warmer…soon.

Smoque is located one block west of the Kennedy on Pulaski on the north side of Chicago.

Ride to Eat. Eat to Ride.

(Thank you honey for the book)